I love London in June, which means fine weather in the commons, pints in pub beer gardens and best of all, this is the month when the art schools put on their BA graduate showcases. The first of many exhibitions starting this week is in Wimbledon College of Art [WCA], one of six colleges that make up University of the Arts London [UAL]. WCA will present work from Theatre and Fine Art pathways, from 13 June to 21 June 2014.
Wimbledon Class of 2014 presents their work in Theatre/Screen and Fine Art
The first stop on my calendar of summer shows is UAL’s Wimbledon College of Arts (and not only because I studied for the BA in Fine Art there); a great reason for anyone to head to the ‘burbs for art is simply the astonishing variety to be found in these galleries. As in any of UAL’s six colleges, there’s often real energy and plenty of risk-taking in the work, with all students presenting a very high standard, from the professional-looking exhibition spaces (amazingly transformed from working studios the week before), to the generally high quality of the work itself.
Fine Art is one of two courses at Wimbledon, and it carries three pathways: Painting, Print & Time-Based Media, and Sculpture.
Of course, the student at UAL is never constrained to the pathway he or she is in, so don’t be surprised to find objects in Print & Time-Based Media spaces, 2-D works in the Sculpture hall, and installations in Painting galleries.
Wimbledon’s second course offering, Theatre & Screen, is made up of six pathways, including: Costume Design, Costume Interpretation, Set Design for Screen, Technical Arts and Special Effects, and Theatre Design.
Apparently, there are no limits here either as the imagined is made tangible for the stage and silver screen. You’ll navigate a maze of ambient stage sets, sumptuous costumes, and intriguing characters, in every corner something new to explore.
If you’re a fan of contemporary art, and want to see the freshest stuff around, put a few of London’s art school graduate shows at the top of your must-see list this month. Not only will you be supporting the beginnings of creative careers; you’ll likely see something unusual or have a new experience to talk about later down at the pub beer garden. In any case, where artists are involved, you’re pretty much guaranteed a great day out.
Can’t decide which shows to see first? Check out the quick list of links at the bottom of the page, “More about UAL’s BA Degree Shows“, which outlines show dates and locations of UAL’s six art colleges. All shows are free admission and have step-free access.
More links and information about Wimbledon
- Wimbledon College of Art ’14 Degree Show page – with lists of artists in Painting, Print & Time Based Media and Sculpture plus PV information and directions to WCA campus
- Read more about WCA’s undergraduate courses
- Learn more about Wimbledon College of Art – Theatre & Screen: Costume Design/Interpretation
More about UAL’s BA Degree Shows
- Camberwell College of Arts Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UF 16-21 June 2014, PV Monday 16 June 2014
- Central St Martins Granary Building, 1 Granary Square, N1C 4AA 18-22 June 2014
- Chelsea College of Arts 16 John Islip Street, London SW1P 4JU 13-21 June 2014, PV Friday 13 June 2014
- London College of Communication Elephant and Castle, London, SE1 6SB 2-27 June 2014
- London College of Fashion 13 Hearn Street, London, EC2A 3LS 19-22 June 2014
- Wimbledon College of Arts Merton Hall Road, London SW19 3QA 13-21 June 2014, PV Thursday 12 June 2014