Life drawing isn’t just for art school; website Meetup.com offers people who share an interest in traditional life drawing the chance to get together and sketch from the human figure. Regular sessions can be found all over London from free to about a tenner so I convinced my partner to join me as we dusted off some art materials recently for Draw @NW London (at Mini Picassos, Kensal Rise, London).
You know what they say, “Practice makes…”
Well, if not perfect, then at least there were many interesting images by the end of the class…
One of my favourites from the night, by an IT professional who claims to be a “terrible drawer”, shows a real spark of creativity and energy… and proves that drawing isn’t solely the domain of so-called “real artists”:
According to Campaign for Drawing, drawing is vital to contemporary culture as a “… tool for thought, creativity, social and cultural engagement…a basic human skill useful in all walks of life…”
And there’s just something so captivating about drawing the human figure in particular that there are hundreds of groups around London where beginners and experts alike can practice their hand in front of a live model.
One such group, Draw@ NW London [no longer active; however there are lots of other Meetup.com groups for life drawing], holds Monday night “drop-in” sessions at Mini Picassos, adjacent to Kensal Rise. Mini Picassos is an art school and studio for people of all ages “who are excited about art, artists and being creative”. Although the focus is generally on developing creativity in toddlers and children, the evening classes for adults include painting, general drawing skills and, of course, drawing from live models.
Gallery of drawings from the Monday night’s life drawing session
More links and information
- Meetup.com – search for “life drawing” – there are thousands of sketchers all over London, with many focused on figure drawing
- Life Drawing London – regular life drawing classes and drop-in sessions all over the capital
- Painting and drawing from life – CityLit community college – near the Aldwych, London
- Life Drawing at The Art Academy – Southwark/London Bridge, London
- Life Drawing at the Royal Drawing School – offering courses in three London locations
- And there are many more! A quick Google Search with search term “Life drawing classes London” will find a lot of the classes around town.
Event details: Draw @NW London takes place 6:45P – 8:45P Monday nights during school term at Mini Picassos studios, 8 Station Terrace Kensal Rise London NW10 5RT. Paid admission (£10). [UPDATED 01 January 2014 – this Meetup.com group is closed and the life drawing course is no longer offered at Mini Picassos]